Sunday, March 11, 2012

"Spontaneity"

Greetings All!
It's been a busy/productive/peaceful/rad/crazy week - quite the combo! Here's some good reasons why:

1) Classes/ Papers
I'm back in schooool and am taking four papers ("papers" meaning classes..kiwi word of the day!):
1.Psychology: Justice, Race and Class
2.Gender: Introduction to Women and Gender Studies
3: Gender: Introduction to Feminist Theory
4: Maori Studies: Maori Society(which is very neat!)

2) Otaaaaagoooo! / Highlanders victory / First Rugby Game Ever
What a kick! Going to a rugby game in NZ is pretty much as authentic as you can get sports-wise.  Walking down to the stadium with hoards of excited students and locals was a thrill in itself.  Although I am an Oregon Ducks football girl at heart, I've been rooting for the Otago highlanders just as loudly!  Otaaagooo!
The walk to the game

The game in action!

The student section was dressed up head to toes in Highlander spirit - it made for an exciting atmosphere with some dedicated fans!


3) Birthday Bonanzas
Our flat complex has already become an overgrown family and I am loving it.  We've celebrated three birthdays in the last week (wow!), and have done either a BBQ or pot luck to bring everyone together.  It's a super fun atmosphere, and what couldn't be awesome with oodles of birthday cake involved?  For my flatmate Magnus' birthday, we made him a homemade cake and then went out later that evening.  It's a great group to be with! 
The birthday boy flatmate and I - both matching! (note the red pants)
4) Picnics and Kittens and Beach Trips, Oh My!
The following is a prime example of why I absolutely love spontaneity.  This past Friday warranted a picnic, as it was a beautiful sunny day.  Sarah, Jerry and I went to the top of the Dunedin gardens and had cider, looking out over the town, the many roses, the lake, the playground, and the sunshine in between.  On a whim, we stopped by a pet store for some 'fur therapy" and pet dogs and kittens to our hearts content!  Cute overload! On another whim, we gathered up our flatmates and bused out to St. Clair beach, stopping for some fish and chips along the way.  Not only were we fortunate enough to watch the sun set over the ocean, we also were blessed to see the moon rise!  It truly was one of the more beautiful things I have seen. After some deep conversations, some ocean exploration, and piggy-back rides through the sand, we ended the night with a cup of hot chocolate.  A lucky day - and some good, old-fashioned stargazing on the way home!
My flatmates and I
Beach Shenanigans
Jane and I dancin' in the moonlight (:
I gotcha, moon!

5) Southern Lights? Yes? Maybe?
As the clock turned 12, my flatmates and I piled into a car for a mini road trip to the middle of nowhere in hopes of catching the southern lights (that were expected that evening).  However, due to a bright, full moon - we weren't able to see any.  We did, however, tell cool stories and enjoy a clear, bright, lovely moon with good company, so it was worth it!  Next time, southern lights...we'll try again.

6) River Crossing
I am signed up with the "Tramping Club" to do a trip to the Fjord land next weekend (woohoo!!!), but to be able to go you must know how to cross a wild river.  So, this morning, truckloads of us bused out to the Tairei river and waded in - arms securely hooked around each other and pants thoroughly soaked.  I am now glad to say I am a wilderness adventure extraordinaire(caw caw, rawr! - "UP").  Tramping, here we come!


In closing, I have been thinking about how blessed I am to be here, and am so thankful for all the love and support I took with me.  A big shout out to my Oregonians - I miss you! An even bigger one to my family - I love you! (:

Lots of love,
Christina
(wise words from my mom)


No comments:

Post a Comment