Monday, May 7, 2012

"Libraries, Late Nights, & Lord of the Rings"

Hello all!
As the months fly by and the time draws nearer to when I must leave this perfect place, I have realized a strange thing.
If home is where your heart is, and I now have two homes, does that mean my heart breaks when I leave here, or just gets twice as big?  (I'm hoping for the second, but right now it's feeling like the first)
My flatmate Jane and I were speaking of this the other night, and came to the conclusion that if you miss something before it's even finished, you know you're having the time of your life.  So I guess we're doing it right!

1) ANZAC Day
Two Wednesdays ago at 5:30AM we wandered out to the ANZAC day service held in Dunedin.  It was a great experience to be a part of, like living a bit of NZ history.  While the stars were still out, a parade of bagpipers marched in, closely followed by the NZ army.  As the sun rose, the ANZAC service honored those lost in war.  What I noticed most was the way the service focused on the peace of the future rather than the war of the past.  It was also a strange thing to be in a country who has not been at war for several years - very different from a nationalistic 4th of July.  Overall, the effect of the service was calming and rejuvenating; inviting you to go out and promote the idea of peace.

2) I Have Been Saturated With Assignments And Therefore Not Keeping Up This Blog
Self-explanatory title, my apologies!

3) Speights Tour
Southern NZ is well known for it's famous "Speights" beer.  With this in mind, a group of us moseyed into town to take a tour of the factory.  Not only did they let us sample the beer at the end of the tour (dangerous to unleash a group of college students into a beer factory unsupervised...) but they provided a full historical background which was extremely cool!  Or should I say, was Sweet As! Also, side note, I actually like beer now.  Crazy, right?

4) Sunsets & Swing sets
I have discovered the joy of finding my very own "spot" in the world.  This spot comes in the form of a swing-set down the hill from my flat.  It looks out upon the Leith River, and over the mountains.  At the end of the day (usually coming home from the library), I try to make it in time for the sunset.  Such a small thing, but it reminds you of what's really important and gives you a sense of calm.


If I'm by myself, I put in my iPod and swing to the music, keeping my eyes on the sky.  A favorite song to listen to in these times is "You're Beautiful" by Phil Wickham (Here's a link if you want to check it out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGlTzH9xkXQ ).  God is good and alive, and it's small times like this that stirs up the joy of this.

5) "Rendezvous"
I've joined a youth group associated with Knox church called "Rendezvous" that meets on Thursday nights. It's pretty neat - a safe space to discuss current political issues having to deal with faith (for example: ANZAC day - how does one take part in war and still hold on to his/her spirituality?).  It's also good company and I've met some really fun people! 

6) Adventures with Sarah
I've met my friend-match: a girl named Sarah.  If you've ever met someone who is pretty much the exact replica of yourself, you'll know what I mean!  We've had a great time together, going on spontaneous adventures and talking about everything and anything (so many similar stories!).  Last Sunday, she joined me for church, we went out for brunch, and then enjoyed the warm sun on the swing-set (the very one pictured above!) and had an all around beautiful day.  I'm very thankful I met her, she is quickly turning into one of my best friends!

7) Lord of The Riiiiiiings!
My flat had a lotr weekend: all three movies with all devoted fans!  Something about watching it NZ made it all that much better.  Perhaps seeing the fields around Isenguard and saying "been there". (:

8) The Superman Undies Make Another Appearance
Avengers!  Yes! I went with my favorite flatties to see my favorite superheros kick some major ass.  The Superman underwear was proudly worn, and the movie was nothing short of fabulous.


That's all for now! We are off to the Franz Joseph Glacier next weekend, so more stories to come.  
Hope all are well back home! 

(Sending, as always, ) Love,
Christina



No comments:

Post a Comment