Wednesday, June 27, 2012

“Welcome home, from the bottom of our hearts” (Last post)


As I write this last blog post of my trip, I’m listening to the song “Welcome home” by Dave Dobbyn.  Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlVmvXAGLI (Take a listen while you read!).  Whenever I listen to this, it reminds me of the openness of new Zealanders, and how I do feel this place is home to me now, and accepts me with open arms.

These last few days have allotted me copious amounts of thinking time, something you can never have too much of.  I have found that of all things to discover, I have discovered a love for uncertainty.  Uncertainty means you are not limited to just one possibility.  Rather, the possibilities are endless.  Being here, and feeling a part of something bigger (truly, we are the stuff of stars and oceans) I have been blessed beyond my years in travel, love, and support.  They say home is where the heart is and I if I am certain of one thing it is this: a part of me will always be one with New Zealand…with the mountains and rivers and endless stars.  Knowing this, it feels okay to be leaving soon. 


I hope I am not being misleading – although it is the end of my schooling and solo travels, my parents are coming up to visit for close to three weeks so it is not the end of adventures!  I am absolutely bursting with excitement to see them and show them my new home! 


In other news, I partook in the “Polar Plunge”, running into the ocean at St. Clair in the middle of winter.  You know, something any sane person would do.  We (Sarah, Jon, and I) also spent a few nights on the Otago Peninsula, and one day exploring the Catlins(where the above picture was taken).  Currently, I am the last one left in our old flat in Dunedin, taking care of last minute business before my parents arrive.  It’s been nice, having this time to reflect on the joy brought into my life by people I’ve met and the spectacular beauty of the place I live in.


In parting words, thank you to all who have kept up and read this blog. 
I hope to return with a more open mind, and not be so quick to think of things that I have to do, but rather things that I hope to achieve.  From being here, I've learned to say “yes, let’s go!” far more often that I normally would have.   There will always be time to get stuff done (homework, etc), but there will not always be these opportunities for adventure.  With this in mind, I go back to Oregon with an open mind and a ready heart for exploration.  All fellow ducks reading this, count me in for football games, marathons, hikes, crazy shenanigans, and everything in between.  
This has been the best time of my life, and just because it’s at an end does not mean I won’t continue to live to the fullest. 
Thank you, I love you.   Mā te Atua me te wāhi ngaro tātou e tiaki e manaaki.  May God and the origins of which all things come from, bless and keep us.

Welcome home.

Love Always,
Christina















No comments:

Post a Comment